New Orleans, Louisiana is known for the French Quarter and being a unique destination, but Mardi Gras season is a great time to visit! There are parades leading up to Mardi Gras day 2-3 weeks in advance so even if you can’t be in town for Fat Tuesday, there are many parades to see in the weeks before. Mardi Gras Day in 2023 will be on February 21st, so make vacation plans now to join the fun!
The first parades start rolling in the first week of January 2023 and travel tips on a few different routes, but all are easily accessible from most hotels in the French Quarter, Warehouse District, and Uptown New Orleans areas. In fact, most don’t actually travel through the French Quarter area so check the routes ahead of time. The best and peak parades are the two weeks before Mardi Gras Day so make sure to take this into account when planning.
So, Where are the Best Places to Stay in New Orleans?
Some of our favorite places to stay during Mardi Gras season in New Orleans are close to the parade routes, but on the outskirts of the madness in many cases. Here are a few Great travel tips and vacation guides.
- Le Méridian Hotel New Orleans is a great location and a beautiful hotel to stay during the parade season. It is located at 333 Poydras St. and some of the parades even pass on the block next to the hotel, yet it is easy to get to anywhere in the French Quarter with a short walk.
- Virgin Hotels New Orleans is a unique and quirky hotel located in the CBD (Central Business District) area of the city at 55 Baronne St. but is easily walkable to parades and activities in the French Quarter. We love the rooftop bar and pool area as well as the quirky Library coffee shop.
- The Pontchartrain Hotel is a stately hotel located right on most of the parade routes at 2031 St. Charles Avenue. The rooms are beautiful, and you can just walk outside to watch the parades that stream down the oak tree-lined avenue. The French Quarter is just a streetcar ride away.
- The Old No. 77 Hotel and Chandlery at 535 Tchoupitoulas Street is a great option if you are on a budget because their rooms are usually at a lower rate than most others in the area. The rooms may be on the small side, but the hotel has tons of charm and a lovely coffee bar. It is also located a block from the parade action.
- Kimpton’s Hotel Fontenot is another gem that is one of our favorites located at 501 Tchoupitoulas St. and close to all of the fun. The hotel has an amazing bar and lives music most nights as well as a delicious brunch on the weekends it’s a top place.
Bottom Line on the Best Places to Stay in New Orleans for Mardi Gras
There are many hotels to choose from for a visit to Mardi Gras, but these are our favorites because of their locations, amenities, and ease of getting around with all of the crowds in town for the festive season! The best tip is to plan your vacation early because hotel rooms fill up quickly for Mardi Gras. Also, keep in mind that the best of the celebration is actually two weeks before and leading up to Mardi Gras Day so that is the best time to visit.