Home Europe Travel Moving Abroad – Using Your iMac in Europe

Moving Abroad – Using Your iMac in Europe


Moving to a new country is a fun and exciting experience, but there can be many technological challenges associated with moving abroad. If you have an Apple iMac computer, you may find it a little difficult to replace the mains cable.

Unlike most Apple products, the iMac cannot use the popular World Traveler Kit, which comes with plug adapters for six different countries. Why can’t iMac use the adapter kit? The iMac doesn’t have a removable plug (or white box that plugs into the wall). Instead, it’s a thick power cable that runs from the back of the computer/monitor to the wall.

Complicating the situation is that it is not possible to purchase a European power cord for your iMac from Apple in the United States. It cannot be purchased in Apple stores, online or by phone. If you’re not in a hurry to use your computer when you arrive, you can buy a cable over the phone in your own European country.

However, if you need to be up and running as soon as you arrive, it’s important to purchase your new cable for your iMac before you leave. Fortunately, there are several online retailers that provide access to general European power supplies and can be purchased in the United States. The key is to know the appropriate search terms to find and buy the product.

Here are the three search phrases we use to find the right product:

  • European power cord for computer
  • PC european power cable
  • Computer plug for use in Europe

As it is not possible to test your new power supply before you go, it may be wise to visit a computer store in your new country of residence to ensure you are purchasing the correct product.